Everything Sweet and Salty!

I absolutely love everything sweet and salty.  I know it’s a big fad right now but even before I was in adoration of this combination.  You might remember my “hot dogs with peanut butter” moment!  Still has people thinking I am bizarre.

I found this “off-beat” (for lack of a better word) magazine called ReadyMade.  It is about reusing/recycling/reducing…all my favorites!  Sometimes they will have recipes, sometimes crafts, new ideas…etc…

Here is the link: ReadyMade Magazine

I found this magazine on-line at some point, and in the frazzleness (key word) of my brain I am unsure where!

Here is a great recipe from the magazine.  I could not get it out of my head: Salted Caramel Shortbread!  Well, Hello Gorgeous!

Funny thing is: I kept the recipe from the magazine.  I tried to make their recipe for the shortbread and it was an epic fail.  The dough was not forming, it was all crumbly.  Even when I tried to cook it by pressing the dough at the bottom of pan…it wouldn’t hold together once cooked.  I was mad.  I found my recipe for shortbread cookies and remembered my friend Dee’s Heirloom Shortbread recipe.  Success! I went on-line and the folks at ReadyMade had this caption about a “slight” misprint in the shortbread recipe they had in their magazine!  Yes, thank you, I am not crazy or a bad cook/baker!

Ingredients:

Shortbread:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup corn starch

1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar

1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cubed

Salted Caramel:

1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

3/4 cup heavy cream

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 teaspoon crushed sea salt (I have coarse sea salt so I just crushed it a little more)

Chocolate topping:

7 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa)

How to:

Mix the shortbread ingredients together in a food processor.  Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap (by the way, I had this huge fight with my plastic wrap…it was ugly!  But I won!)  Put dough in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.

Preheat your oven to 325F

Meanwhile, prepare a 9-inch-square brownie pan, grease your pan and line the base and sides with a single piece of parchment paper (see pic).  Press your dough in your prepared pan.  Poke holes all over your crust using a fork.

Bake in your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until light brown and starting to come away from the edges of the pan.

Cool your baked shortbread for 1 hour prior to making your caramel.

To make the caramel, put the sugar and cream in a heavy-bottom saucepan set over low heat.  Heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon as it comes to a boil.  Once it is boiling, add the butter and stir.  Bring the caramel back to a boil and let it bubble gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Take the caramel off the heat, add the salt, and stir vigorously to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed in.  Then, working quickly, pour the caramel on top of the cooled shortbread.  Put the pan in the fridge for at least 1 hour to cool and set.
***a little piece of advice: caramel is extremely HOT…taste at your own risk! (please learn from my mistake!)
Once the caramel has set, melt your chocolate.  Do not over heat your chocolate, you must do this very carefully and slowly.  One easy way to do it is with a double boiler.  Melt only 70% of your chocolate, once melted add the remaining 30% and stir until all melted.
Pour the melted chocolate on top of the caramel and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula.
Allow the chocolate to set before lifting the shortbread out of the pan (using the foil or baking parchment) and cutting into squares with a hot knife. The caramel squares will keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This is extremely rich, not your everyday dessert.  I mean I was in sugar overload but I went back for more.  I do feel the chocolate was too thick….maybe a little less would work for me.  Yet the saltiness in the caramel is sooooooo spot on for me.  I can taste it in every bite!
Peace and Sassy Salty,
Isabelle

8 thoughts on “Everything Sweet and Salty!

  1. that looks fantastic!

    My wife made a Salted Caramel Cheesecake for my birthday a week ago. DANGEROUS! I agree with you, I can eat myself sick on sweet/salty foods.

  2. Sassy and salty is good — I’m hitting the print button right after I send this.

    And fighting with plastic wrap — too funny! (Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s plastic wrap challenged…)

I love your comments...like I love cookies,please leave one ;)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s